Wednesday, January 10, 2018

UPDATE: Two Days Out - Things Are Getting Interesting

This is why uncertainty is so high up to 48 hours before this storm hits. Below is the Euro snowfall from yesterday and today, superimposed over each other:

So when a friend jokingly said, "I wish I could be as unsure about my job as meteorologists are. They're saying between 2 and 24 inches!" - I told them to shut the hell up. Kindly.

The good news is we're getting closer to this storm actually forming, which means we should get better model data coming in so we can hone in on a final solution - a solution I'm not ready to decide on yet.

Yes, models are coming back east with it, which is typical of the Euro in these southern lows. But, as TheHermit can attest to, we've seen these storms come a dozen times and they seem to turn a little further west than expected each and every time. I'm going with history on this one and betting against the I-71 corridor as being the bulls-eye. However, I'm not ready to etch that in stone yet.

Another thing to note is each model run is showing less and less snow in that sweet spot. I wouldn't let that discourage you just yet because those are in response to models thinking this track will flatten out. Remember the East Coast scenario I ruled out yesterday? At least the Euro is trying to bring that back in to play, instead of a curve up the Appalachians, it's thinking a beeline toward the DC metro area. If that were to actually happen, this storm goes from a giant, to just another wet afternoon with evening backside changeover to snow. However, I'm not buying that just yet.

I'll post tomorrow with final conclusions of what we should expect from our first decent winter storm in a while.

2 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed
    ...for some real snow that we have not seen for the past 3 winters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your updates and excellent analysis as always! Fingers crossed for a wallop of the white stuff!

    ReplyDelete