Tuesday, January 9, 2018

FIRST LOOK: Big Weekend Storm

I'm not going to hype this storm. I'm not going to post snowfall models. I purposely waited until Tuesday night to mention a Friday-Saturday storm, even though some have been talking about this storm since last Saturday. The reason?

No one knew for sure what will happen, so why talk about it?

It's ironic that on my last post TheHermitt was talking about southern lows, because that's what we have in play for the first time this season. If anyone followed me on my old blog you knew anytime I mentioned a southern low, I was talking about the ultimate make or break storm.

We could see a ton of snow. We could see a ton of ice. Or hell, we could see a lot of rain. It's hard to say 72 hours out.

Usually with a southern low we have three different scenarios. The western track, the Appalachian track, and the full miss East Coast track. I'm going to go ahead and take out the East Coast track. I think we're in play for something, so a miss is kind of out of the question.

That leaves us with two options. The western, warmer solution and the snowy Appalacian track:

If this heads west of us, it'll be a very rainy storm and very little to no snow. If it heads east we get a big snow storm. But there's a million scenarios between these two. Not black and white. Not rain OR snow.

As with every southern low, just a few miles will be the difference in the rain/snow line, if somewhere gets ice, and even where the heaviest snow will fall. If you looked at some of the model runs one thing that keeps being shown is a deformation zone with heavy snow. Probably a 50 mile wide area where we hit the jackpot. Where does it line up? Even that may be a question we can't answer until a day before it happens.

I'll post each day leading up to the storm with a more accurate idea of where this will all go down.

1 comment:

  1. I think you know what I'm betting on! :) :) :)

    I went out and bought a big bag of sidewalk salt to jinx any ice we might get, so hopefully we'll just get rain.

    I'd sooner expect to see Bigfoot riding on the back of the Loch Ness Monster before seeing any snow from a southern low around here. :)

    --TheHermit43130

    ReplyDelete