Tuesday, January 16, 2018

SUMMARY: January 15th Hybrid-Clipper

I don't think there's anything else I could call yesterday's system than a hybrid-clipper. And it's still hanging on, at least for Southern Ohio!

In general we saw 2-3" along and northwest of I-71. However, areas south and east of I-71 have seen a prolonged area of snow. This southern extent of the clipper just has not been moving for hours at a time in the early morning. Here's a few hours of the radar loop to show you exactly how little eastward movement there was to this overnight:

I submitted my spotter report a little early and said we ended up with 3.5" in Canal Winchester. That was before the line finished its ebb and flow and brought us another half an inch, for a total of 4" from "just" a clipper.

Using the above radar, here's an idea of what totals ended up being in Ohio:

I'd be interested to see what some of the totals were for southeastern Ohio, as they may have really won on this storm.

What I did miss on was the winds. They didn't kick up until around 2am when the front finally started to push in. I saw some 20mph wind gusts that definitely blew snow around quite a bit.

In all, it's felt a little above average on snowfall this season. I'm at 14.25" here at home, but that doesn't count some of our smaller dustings that could easily take us to 17-18" (CMH reports 17.3").

After today's extremely cold temperatures (it's 8° at 1:30pm!) we should be on a gradual climb in to this weekend, where we'll finally thaw out. A good portion of our snow should be gone by this time next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment