Saturday, February 24, 2018

FLOODING: Heavy Rains Today and Tonight

It sure hasn't been Winter-like the last week or so, has it? I think the groundhog might have been wrong, as it sure has felt like Spring lately.

On Monday and Tuesday we had highs in the 70s. A rarity for sure. But on top of that, we've had quite a bit of rain over the past 7 days. Here at home I've recorded rain 6 of the past 7 days. When you take the light, melting snow we had last Saturday, combine it with a completely saturated ground, and then add even more rain on top of it.... you get a Spring-like mess.

The good news for Central Ohio is we haven't taken the brunt of the heavy rain lately. While any rain could become runoff flooding with completely saturated grounds, we aren't in nearly as bad of shape as areas to our south and west:

We're kind of in a donut hole here in Central Ohio. For reference I put the 1.62" I've recieved here in Canal Winchester, but areas around the Ohio River in Cincinnati has seen over 3", with more on the way today and tonight.

I think we have a solid 24 hours of off and on heavy rain coming for us here in Central Ohio. The good news is, the first round of it should stay in Northern Ohio, leaving the heavier totals to our north. Then we'll see a brief break before round two hits us later this afternoon. That should bring some of the heaviest rain we've seen yet.

Then after all of that rain, we'll end this storm with... well... storms. We have a slight risk of some severe weather overnight, but I think the real risk will be with a developing squall line early tomorrow morning:
I'm not super confident on storms being severe tonight or tomorrow morning, but I think it would still be a good idea to make sure your weather radio is plugged in and working before going to bed. Don't be like me and plug your weather radio in to an outlet that's controlled by a switch that's turned off. That's a problem.

I'm going to try and track some flooding with my drone sometime today and then tomorrow, hoping to get some good shots from around town. If you're out and come across high water, turn around, don't drown.

No comments:

Post a Comment