Tuesday, February 6, 2018

UPDATE: HRRR Trends Heavy Snow

Shortly after my last post, the latest 3km NAM came out and dropped some insanity on us, suggesting areas of 6-8" of snow for Central Ohio. I laughed it off and assumed it was typical NAM over reaction.

Now a few hourly runs of the HRRR have started to agree with my idea of a more northerly track. What that does is put Pickaway and Fairfield Counties in more of a sleet/ice situation, and puts Madison, Franklin and Licking Counties right in the sweet spot of the heaviest snowfall:

I forgot to mention in my last post, but the area just north of the ice line will be where the heaviest snow will fall. Above is the 4am snapshot from the HRRR. Don't take this as a forecast, as this storm still has time to move north or south. Not to mention, this will not be a stationary line. The ice and snow line will wobble throughout the night and early morning, so this is will not be a perfect line in the sand after it moves out.

That being said, I think we could be looking closer to the high end of my forecast for areas right along the ice/snow line.

Who will be staying up watching this?

1 comment:

  1. Im staying up all night , I live in central pickaway county , Im hoping for some super heavy snow to photograph , but scared ill get mostly sleet . Gonna be a long nail biting night where my mood will reflect what each new hrr run shows ...

    ReplyDelete