Wednesday, February 7, 2018

SUMMARY: February 7th Storm

I'd say this storm performed just how it was forecasted. Areas south of US22 got glazed pretty good with freezing rain and little to no snow. Further north, snow with some mix in there for good measure (or the inability to measure your accumlations!).

While the snow and ice totals weren't eye popping, this was by far our most disruptive storm of the season. Here's a comparison of my map from yesterday with totals from the NWS:

I think I nailed the 3-5" in the middle, a little off on the amounts to the south, but got pretty close with my 0.1" to 0.25" of ice to the south. In fact, I believe Chillicothe may have even gotten up to a half inch of ice. The snow barely even mixed in down south.

Most counties went to a level 2 snow emergency early this morning, simply because snow was accumulating so fast that the plows couldn't keep up. My drive in was awful, with main roads untouched and slippery. My car had layers. Some snow. Some ice. Then some slush. Then some sleet. Then more snow. It was truly a mix overnight. The 3.5" I got could have been way more if we didn't have the mixing in. That's probably where those high 4" totals came in for northern Franklin.

I'd expect more closings and delays tomorrow, as rural areas may take a couple days to clean this mess up. Temps will also dip in to the teens tonight causing some refreezing, so be careful on the roads tomorrow. For our friends in southern Pickaway and Fairfield, well... you experienced the true southern low. The ice!

1 comment:

  1. I stayed up all night hoping to timelapse the snow accumulating, but although we had brief changeovers to very heavy snow, the majority of the precip was heavy ice and sleet. Finally gave up at 3:00 am and went to sleep pretty disappointing. Woke up with a combination of ice,sleet , and snow that accumulated into about an inch here in south central pickaway county.

    ReplyDelete