Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Goodbye, Wunderblogs

For 9 years I've been writing a blog about the weather here in Central Ohio on Weather Underground. This is my 740th post, and a sad one to write. As I discovered today, the member blogs section of Weather Underground will be discontinued in April. This notice was a heartbreaking one to read:


On February 10, 2008, I wrote, "I'm Eric Josephson, a 23 year-old weather enthusiast from Central Ohio." Wow. I was 23. And with that, I began writing entries religiously. 

Over the years I had interactions with so many great members of the Wunderground community. I got to talk to people from all around Central Ohio, parts of Indiana, and even as far away as Seattle. I've covered all kinds of crazy weather events, from the Blizzard of 2008 to the Derecho of 2012. Crazy hot temperatures and insanely cold ones. Drought, floods, amazing lightning shots, and all the amazing weather this country has to offer.

And just like that, with about a month's notice, Wunderground pulled the rug out from all of it.

They claim they'll keep the blogs archived, which is nice, but I'll never be an avid visitor of this site again. I have my weather cam and weather station hosted here, so it's not like I'm cutting myself off from Wunderground all together. But the loss of the blogs will be a huge blow to this site, unfortunately. Not just from me, but many other members I've read posts from.

BUT I'M NOT GIVING UP MY PASSION OF WRITING ABOUT THE WEATHER

I've decided to move to another blogging platform. From now on I'll write on the Google based Blogger platform. My new site will be:

Central Ohio Weather, wxcentralohio.blogspot.com

For the time being I'll post full entries on my new site, including this one, and partial entries on Wunderground until the blogs are discontinued in April.

Goodbye, Wunderground. You screwed up a great thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment